Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Tim Tebow NCAA '11 Bible Verse Contest

Good afternoon, dear readers. These are the summer doldrums: the mercury has topped ninety for the last seventy-three days, humidity is so high that it's making a walk to the subway feel like a scuba dive, and I don't feel like doing my usual Tuesday Bible entry.

But a weekly post is a weekly post, and I am a man of habit. Hence, in place of more rumination on the complexities of Judeo-Christian scripture, I'd like to propose a thoroughly mindless contest. It goes like this ...

College football season is nearly upon us. (Okay, not "nearly," but it's just a couple months off, and fans like me are chomping at the proverbial bit.) And followers of the game know that one of last year's shining stars--Florida QB Tim Tebow--was not only an expert hurler but also a bit of a Bible thumper. Every game that he played, Tebow would write a Bible verse in silver marker on the black stickers he pasted under his eyes to fight off the sun's glare. Some favorites?

Hebrews 12: 1-2: "Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus the pioneer and perfecter of our faith, who for the sake of the joy that was set before him endured the cross, disregarding its shame, and has taken his seat at the right hand of the throne of God."

Ephesians 2: 8-10: "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God—not the result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are what he has made us, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand to be our way of life."

And that old chestnut, John 3:16. Here's a full listing of the 2009 season's verses.

Just a while back, EA Sports released its newest college football video game, "NCAA Football 11," and Tebow was once again put on the cover. However, in place of Bible verses, game designers put Florida Gator logos on the eye blacks--for what may or may not be obvious reasons.

However, this is a wrong that I'd like to see righted. I demand historical and cultural accuracy in the photoshopped images that adorn my Playstation 3 games ... thus the contest.

I'd like you, fair readers, football fans, and Bible fanatics, to propose appropriate, funny, or thematically relevant Bible verses for EA Tebow's scripture-less eye stickers. Contest winners will receive the undying adoration of the two other regular "Eat the Bible" readers--and the love and respect of yours truly. Just go ahead and post your ideas in the comment box below.

And just to prove I'm not a spoil sport, I'll lead off. Are you listening, EA Sports?

Isaiah 22: 17-18: "The Lord is about to hurl you away violently, my man. He will seize firm hold of you, whirl you round and round, and throw you like a ball into a wide land."

4 comments:

  1. The outlaw josey walesJuly 20, 2010 at 2:01 PM

    You took the best one out there, but I was able to come up with this:

    Isiah 40:31: "But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; they shall walk, and not faint."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hebrews 12:1
    Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1 Corinthians 9: 25-27
    Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. 27No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work, eager participants! I love the 1 Corinthians passage, Robert. And I actually think Tebow did use Hebrews 12:1 at one point ...

    ReplyDelete

We here at "Eat the Bible" love your comments--please share.