Monday, April 19, 2010

A Note on Mark 14

Paul Ford, an associate editor at Harper's, writes the following in the "Readings" section of the May issue:

"There are moments that come to me in the shower. Emotions combine in certain alchemical ways and bring upon me a desire to fall to my knees, heart pregnant with celestial fire. I am ready to subjugate myself to the sky sprites, prepared to say, 'Not my will, but Thine'. But, sadly, I am apostate."

This in a cunning response to a question, posed online, "Is there an afterlife?"

Alas, if only all apostates could quote the Bible so well as Ford ... or all the devout, for that matter. Ford channels Jesus here, from either Mark 14 or Luke 22. I'll give you the King James translation of Luke 22, in which Christ nearly despairs on the night before his crucifixion: "And he was withdrawn from them about a stone's cast, and kneeled down, and prayed, saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless, not my will, but thine, be done."

2 comments:

  1. The heart pregnant with celestial fire is from a poem--http://www.blupete.com/Literature/Poetry/Elegy.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for pointing it out, anonymous! I knew that phrase sounded familiar ...

    ReplyDelete

We here at "Eat the Bible" love your comments--please share.